How can you boost the chances that someone will like you?
Keep in mind – make sure that your desire to be friendly effectively shines through:
- Show that you like the another person – Look for ways to signal that you enjoy a person’s company.
- Laugh at yourself – Showing vulnerability and a sense of humor make you more likable and approachable.
- Be easily impressed, entertained, and interested – Most people get more pleasure from wowing you with their humor and insight than from being wowed by your humor and insight.
- Smile – direct impact on how friendly you’re perceived to be – people mimic the expressions on the faces they see, if you smile your are more likely to be smiled at.
- Have a friendly, open, engaged demeanor – Lean toward people, nod, say “Uh-huh,” turn your body to face the other person’s body.
- Radiate energy and good humor – Even if you pride yourself on your cynicism, biting humor, or general edginess, these qualities can be conveyed with warmth.
- Remember the person’s name!
Studies suggest that we decide how close a relationship we’ll have with a new acquaintance within the first ten minutes of meeting that person, make a big effort to be openly friendly the first time you meet someone.